Tuesday 16 August 2011

Thing 16

Thing 16 - Flickr

Another thing I'd been looking forward to. I like the fact that so much of the content of Flickr is rights-free (or fairly rights-free), so that anyone can use it, but I hadn't got around to exploring what had to be done to embed pictures from Flickr in my blog posts. Actually, with Flickr coming up on the Cam23 agenda after my holiday, I'd already half-decided before setting off for Germany that this might be a good excuse for me to join Flickr myself and post some holiday photos. So that's what I've done. You can browse a set of pictures of German signs and writing here and one of various church windows of Cologne and Bonn, many containing very beautiful stained glass, here.

This is an authentic Stange of Kölsch, the beer all Cologne people must drink many times a day to prove their loyalty to the city, linked from my Flickr account.


And this is the bottom section of a window in Cologne Cathedral.


Such a wide-ranging repository of images is a godsend to the librarian desperate not to have to fall back on clipart once more. With this and Wikimedia Commons, no library poster need ever be unattractive again.

And in the spirit of sharing media, here's a video of the process of making chocolate at the Lindt-sponsored Schokoladenmuseum in Cologne. I put it together using Windows Movie Maker, which I had never used before. It only took me about 15 minutes. Might be useful for library videos.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Wallace and Gromit would love it! I would like to be that woman whose job seems to be to chuck handfulls of chocolate at random intervals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was tempted to enquire about the post but my German is not good enough.

    ReplyDelete